May 7, 2014

Book Recommendations for the Month of May

"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Haruki Murakami

It's true that books offer lots and lots of different perspectives, but the most important one that they offer is your own. When you sit and read a book you either like what it says and what it talks about, or you don't. Or maybe you're somewhere in between, and you like one thing about it but not something else. You may never have thought about it, but really, when you like and hate and feel all and any emotions towards aspects of a book, you're telling yourself something about yourself. And if that's the case, then when you read books you're embarking on an exploration of yourself. So, as May is exploration month, I thought I would share a few book recommendations to get your exploration going. 

"Journey of Awakening: A Meditators Guidebook" by Ram Dass

Now, I know that this seems like a strange thing to read. Many of you are probably thinking that you don't meditate, and you aren't interested in meditation. Well, neither was I. I didn't meditate when I started reading this book, and I don't meditate now. Strange, right? But it's not, and here's why. Although this book is technically about meditation, it focuses so much more on simply life than on any meditation techniques or methods. I found this book in my grandfather's library back when we were clearing out his things shortly after he passed. I was able to choose any books I wanted, and I chose this one as one of them for some reason unknown to me now. Well, eventually, I got around to reading this book. I just picked it up off my shelf and thought "I'll take a stab at this book now." Why? I don't know. But what I do know is that it was honestly a great book. Ram Dass focuses on life at its core, and the real things we desire out of it. Although he does touch on meditation at least once or twice a chapter, the overall feel of the book is not that of a guide book but rather an introspective journey. It gets you thinking about yourself, your life, and your wants and needs, and it offers a spiritual perspectives from all religions. So, if you ever wonder about yourself, read this book to find the answers. And who knows, maybe you'll find a newfound interest in meditation! (Although I still haven't found that, yet.)


"In Praise of Love" by Alain Badiou

I read this book back at the beginning of the year, and I still remember most of it today. And my memory is absolutely terrible, so that should say something about how amazing of a book it is. It's a short one, but I'll say that it is incredibly interesting. In keeping with the theme of the month, it is an exploration of love. Sounds like a big topic, right? How could anyone explore love in depth in what you've just been told is a short book? I'm still trying to figure out how Badiou did it, but it's been done. He sums everything up simply and yet in depth, and he never skips a beat on telling it like it is. This book is perfect for anyone who cares about love in any way shape or form, or just gets curious from time to time.


I hope you give at least one of these books a chance and that all of you try to dive into the depths of your preferences and opinions through a mountain of books and enjoyment! Keep Reading x Laurel 


No comments:

Post a Comment